01923 829586

Inspira UK is a professional services consultancy focusing on bookkeeping and management accounting for growing businesses...with 95% client retention rate and over 65 years of experience.

Contact us to see how we can help your business

News articles

October 15, 2010

Those who owe more tax due to HMRC errors will still have to pay

Recent news about a series of HM Revenue and Customs mistakes regarding tax in the 2008-09 and 2009-10 financial years meant that a number of people were faced with further tax to pay.

However, it has since been revealed that only a minority of these were actually down to mistakes and the majority of tax payers will have to pay the tax.


If any of your employees thinks they have paid too little tax, and are concerned about the possibility of having to pay more, you’ll need to know how to help them out.
The HMRC site gives information about how employees can check their tax codes and the amount of tax deducted, if they are worried about their current tax situation.
Employees who receive letters from the HMRC stating they owe tax for previous years should ask for clarification from HMRC.  Any tax owed will have to be repaid but the way this will happen depends on the amount owed and the employee’s financial situation.

« Back to articles list